You’re probably backing up your website already. But do you know what to do with the backup, and how do you know if it actually works? In this episode, we discuss some of the different backup tools you can use, and the best practices you should be following.
- Why make backups? Don’t rely on your host, have redundancy in place.
- Back up both your database and filesystem.
- We recommend making database backups daily and file backups weekly.
- Don’t store your backups on your server. Offsite solutions:
- Ways to make backups:
- Test your backups:
- Do a “sanity check” on the backup filesize.
- Download and unzip to make sure the files are not corrupted.
- Do a test restore on a test database.
- Make sure you know how to restore.
Tips & Tricks
- BigDump is a utility for importing large MySQL files.