This week’s episode is all about social sharing. We talk about strategies and best practices for social – many of which we’ve been lazy in implementing ourselves (hence the title).
We’re now an award-winning podcast. Thanks Dan and Ian at TropicalMBA! We got the “Best New Podcast” award at the DCBKK conference.
And thanks everyone for getting us over 10,000 downloads!
- Optimize your profiles and pages:
- Recommended networks: Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn (niche-specific).
- Don’t spread yourself too thin between channels, focus on the relevant ones.
- Personal vs. business account?
- Follow and mention people, deep link to posts on their site – good chance of getting a retweet.
- Use a service like HootSuite or Buffer to post to multiple channels, schedule tweets and posts.
- Implementing it yourself
- Load time. Each button checks back with the appropriate service to get the share count.
- Negative social proof. Show social counts if 0 or a low number?
- Don’t display social sharing buttons at the very top, before people read?
- Will they dilute or distract from your call to action?
- Limited customization options.
- Do you even need social sharing buttons?
- Doug is considering building a premium social plugin. Are you interested in these features?
- Cached share counts.
- Automatically shows/hides the numbers if the share count is above/below a set amount.
- Custom color picker.
Please share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!