This week, we’re answering some questions about starting a plugin business. We discuss licensing options, and some ideas on how to pick what plugin to start with.
- Thanks Danny Flood for the 5-star review! Danny hosts the OpenWorld podcast.
- Response to a question from Scott Paterson
- Breakdown of license purchases – 1 site vs multiple site licenses
- What plugin to make?
- Phil Derksen – WP Stripe plugin
- David’s suggestion: Ninja Forms / WooCommerce / Easy Digital Downloads extension
- Existing marketplace
- Easy way to get started with an extension – can ship faster, learn the ropes
- It’s also good to build something you know there’s a demand for (existing plugins that are being used) and not fulfilled (bad reviews for those plugins)
- Ninja Forms does 1st-level support
- You can’t expect to hit it big with your very first plugin, it’s going to be a learning experience.
- Getting started is the hardest part. Avoid “analysis paralysis” or being a perfectionist.
- Also relevant, Matt Mullenweg’s post: 1.0 is the Loneliest Number.
- “If you’re not embarrassed when you ship your first version you waited too long.”
- “Ship early and often.”